Thursday 10 May 2012

Potty time... the next instalment

At the minute I can't decide if we are moving forward, going backwards, or just staying the same. I'm trying not to worry and just take it as it comes but any advice would be very welcome, I'm just wondering if these are common potty issues?

We've been doing really well and had quite a lot of action on the potty and toilet. We've been so pleased with her and she's been getting lots of well deserved excited praise. My one concern is that her potty triumphs are always after I convince her to give it a go. The positive side is she must be doing well with her bladder control as she is holding on till I put her on the potty to go and on the whole keeping her favourite pants dry. We have however had a couple of wee accidents last weekend (one sitting on my lap in Nandos - nice) and one in the lounge when I think she was too busy playing to notice, but I know this is to be expected! 

I'm just not sure now how to get to the next step where she asks for the toilet. I'm not sure she recognises she needs to go but if she does how do I convince her it's a good idea to tell me. She is very articulate so that's not the issue but gets very engrossed in what she's doing and hates to be interrupted mid game/book/programme! I've tried explaining that using the potty is great as you can play, pop on it quickly, and then get straight back to playing, rather than having to go off and get cleaned and changed. Not worked so far though!


I had a breakthrough on Monday when a toilet we visited had a squirty tap that splashed me, she's been a lot more keen to visit toilet since, I guess in the hope she can laugh at me again. Hey whatever works!


Number twos seem to be an even greater sticky problem with her, we've had success by me knowing her routine or watching out for her pulling a funny face but when she has to go she goes. There doesn't seem to be much holding in of this yet!


If anyone has any good tips of how to get to the next step I would love to hear them. There's no manual for this stuff is there? 

4 comments:

  1. No tips, but we are having big ups and downs with toilet training - went straight for that, as I couldn't face having to slop out potties! All was going really smoothly, 95% of poops down the pan as it were. But a stomach bug three weeks back now has taken us back to even before square 1 - it is so frustrating, but I'm just letting things lie for the moment as don't want to turn it all into a big ordeal. But have had to go back to pull-ups, as there was only so much our sofa, mat, chairs etc could take!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep I'm starting to wish we had floor boards and not a cream carpet ;) I started with pullups but we she wears them she shows nooo interest in the potty at all. I dread her getting a dodgy tummy...that can't have been fun for you! I'm sure we'll all get there in the end, good luck!! x

      Delete
  2. Good luck with it all- I must say I am dreading it, my little one is 17 months nearly so it will be us next! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck, sometimes I wish I'd started sooner, mine is 2.5 now!!

      Delete